Yesterday I was craving Mexican food, but I wanted something I could enjoy without all of the calories. I started thinking about which ingredients I had at home and was able to come up with a mildly health dish : Stuffed Poblano Peppers. This is a delicious, easy dish that will satisfy your cravings for Mexican food and the clean up is fast!
Ingredients (double recipe if cooking for 4) :
2 Poblano Peppers
2 Cloves garlic
1 Pound ground beef
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 can mild Rotel diced tomatoes & green chiles
Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce (mild or hot depending on preference)
Shredded Cheese (your choice, I used white cheddar)
eggs (optional for an egg over easy on top)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash poblanos
- Cut of the very top of the poblanos, pull out core and rinse out all seeds.
- Cut a slice down the side of all poblanos. Set aside.
- Chop garlic and set aside.
- Heat a dollop of coconut oil in a skillet. Once it is melted add in the ground beef and start cooking.
- After 4 minutes add in chopped garlic, salt, pepper, Rotel and a 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce.
- Once beef is good and brown pull off the heat (if you added too much enchilada sauce just strain the beef and place back in the skillet).
- Place poblanos on a cookie sheet with foil and lightly spray with oil.
- Spoon the beef mixture evenly into all of the poblanos.
- Top each them with two tablespoons of enchilada sauce.
- Finally, top all of the poblanos with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Once they are done, pull them out and prepare your eggs over easy (if you want them).
- Drizzle enchilada sauce over poblanos and top with your egg over easy!
I also had a side of Uncle Ben’s Brown & Wild rice mixture that you heat in the microwave for 90 seconds. (I know, Chef of the year over here)
This is what your final dish will look like once prepared: